Prevention and Mitigation
During construction best practice measures as set out within the IAQM guidance should be applied.
A list of suggested possible measures for the mitigation of air quality impacts once the development is complete are provided below:
- Provision of electric car charging points at new dwellings, commercial properties and on-street locations;
- Provision of low NOx boilers within new dwellings to meet minimum standard of <40mgNOx/kWh
- Provision of safe and secure cycle parking at dwellings, commercial and recreational areas;
- Provision of safe cycle and pedestrian routes across site and leading to key areas;
- Provision of initiatives for encouraging the use of public transport such as providing discounts for cycle purchase, providing information on public transport options, cycle and walking routes and car clubs;
- Provision of funding for new bus routes and/or demand responsive buses;
- Provision of landscaping which can act as a physical barrier to exposure to air pollution;
- In area where development is located in areas of high existing pollutant concentrations, provision of mechanical ventilation with NOx filters;
- Proposed residential properties should be set back from busy roads as appropriate.
Page updated: 12/01/2021